Thursday 18 August 2011

A little while later

Good day to any who may be reading this.

I have been incommunicado since Thursday last week owing to some person at Telkom mistakenly disconnecting our ADLS line and then having it reconnected to another number...clever, very clever.

Today is Thursday which means that I have managed to keep going for two weeks now. Most encouraging is the increase in fitness, decrease in time, and the increase in technical prowess too. Just when I clear one challenging climb high on the thought that I might wax the next one, I botch the line and end up hike-a-biking to the next section where I can remount and continue my war on cardio-vascular slovenliness.

I had given my bike to a customer to use for the weekend past, but it was not back before Monday morning so I compelled myself to go for a run on the same track that I walk. OK, well maybe "run" is not the right word for what I do. A spirited shuffle is more the correct description for my lumbering gait. Gets me there and back though so no complaints on my side. Not lifting your feet too high does have disadvantages though, these were convincingly illustrated when twice I hooked my toe on a rock and a low root. Both occasions i nearly went sprawling, but it seemed that I was caught by a guardian angel and spared the personal embarrassment as well as the discomfort of grazes, cuts and bruises.

Just had a very interesting chat with a customer. He has lent me a book to read called Sketches From Church History. I look forward to reading this but I expect that The Great Controversy would be a more 'strong meat' read. Thinking of which, I need to read that book again. There are always things popping up when one reads a book again that you did not notice or remember from the last reading. In times past, I had frequently read a book, enjoyed it immensely, finished and put it down and then realised that there is precious little that I can recall from the story. I wonder if this is not a bit like when you drive somewhere and upon arrival find that you cannot remember much of the journey.

Are we present-minded all the time?


I have started reading the Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain to my children. I must admit that it is well written (being that old, could it possibly be otherwise?). Such lovely language. Tom Sawyer reminds me of the mischief of my youngest son and I begin to muse whether this tale is not putting ideas into his head. I suppose the story can be as much a handbook on how not to behave with explanations interjected by the reader as to why we should not do that.

Later today, I have a Jewish gentleman coming to fetch Walter Veith's Life at It's Best, who knows, with the work of the Holy Spirit, this man might end up watching the rest of the Total Onslaught series. Pray for him please....

Off to fetch my oldest son from school now. Speak to you another time.






No comments:

Post a Comment